Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Knitted Pink Donut



Well I didn't bake it, or deep fry it for that matter, but it was still made by my hands and knitting seems like an awfully Stepford kind of thing to do.

I'm not generally a successful knitter. I blame it on my poor mathematics and propensity for distraction. Plain and stocking stitch scarves are about all I can muster when I get a bout of knitting fever - usually when it's cold outside. Counting rows and stitches is just too tricky and patterns just go out the window when there is something good on DVD to watch, but this time I was inspired.

The original inspiration came from www.thecupcakecourier.com.au where they sell Lark Knitted Gifts. I saw the cutest little pink donut on sale and wanted to buy it for my brand new niece but they were out of stock and as they are hand knitted in Bangladesh I didn't think it was likely they'd be back in store anytime soon.

So I gave myself a lecture about building some skills that actually require focus and concentration and had a hunt for a pattern. I found a free one on www.ravelry.com and decided to have a go. It has a pretty pink icing with embroidery thread sprinkles and a lovely caramel donut colour underneath (in case you can't see it in the picture!)

It was my first go of knitting in the round with double pointed needles and it wasn't too hard, with encouragement from my lovely workmate Kate who said something like "Just keep at it, the first few rows feel like you're wrestling an octopus but persevere and it gets easier". She was right.

This one is for little Zahra, but she'll have to wait until I find a pattern to make a little something for her sister too!

In the meantime the next project is a "hope bear" - this one is for a lovely charity that gives the bears to cancer patients in hospitals all over the place, if you're a knitter and you're keen send me a message and I'll forward on the details to get their patterns. Here is an article about their Coffs Harbour operation but my mum tells me there is a pick up in the Shire too. Trust me the pattern is so simple even I can manage it!! Albeit more slowly that mum who is pumping them out in their dozens!

http://www.coffscoastindependent.com.au/news/local/news/general/hope-bears-charity-wins-state-award/1792478.aspx

Have a nice day everyone x S

5 comments:

  1. Oh, I love it! You know me and donuts... but this is one that even the CSIRO diet people would approve of. If only I could knit! SMx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you did an amazing job Shan! I admire anyone that has a crafty bent and you're wrong, you do have knitting talent!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute! A very well knitted donut it is too. I love the sprinkles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's gorgeous! I gave up the 'octopus' and learnt how do to magic loop for knitting in small rounds. Much easier, well, at least not as pokey.

    Look for jodeyelorrie on ravelry... it's me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd say 'Cute!' too, but Kate already stole my words... (Cute has been our catchword - it's unfortunate, but it's better than saying "It's different, it's unwewusal, I like it".

    It looks like you've done a splendid job! Socks are not much harder Mrs Shannon, I'm sure you'll be on to them in no time!

    ReplyDelete