Friday, October 15, 2010

Aquarium Cake!


This one is backdated quite a bit - I think I made it for lovely friend Kristen's birthday about 2 years ago. My apologies for the dodgy photograph too, this is back in the days when my phone camera was the best option available...

The reason I haven't been blogging much in the last few weeks is because my lovely camera died! I'm saving up towards a new one but in the meantime I've got a few old pics that I'd love to share.

This recipe is fancy birthday cake made simple. It's so easy but super impressive and perfect for kids or young at heart adults.

You bake a cake in a roasting tin, pop it out to cool and then set a packet of blue jelly in the same tin lined with cling wrap. When it's set plonk the flat side of the cake on top and then turn the whole creation out onto your cake board and decorate to your little heart's content!

I iced the sides in blue and used lolly snakes to make the weeds. Guylian chocolate sea creatures chopped in half swim around the sea and coloured chocolate pebbles make the sandy bottom of the sea.

This recipe is from Party Cakes for Kids By Murdoch Books Pty Limited, Zoe Harpham, Jacqueline Blanchard. I highly recommend it. It is an excellent book - second only to my old favourite - The Women's Weekly Birthday Cake Book!

Have a lovely day

x

4 comments:

  1. The Woman's Weekly Birthday Cake book was my favourite as a child. We'd get it out WEEKS before our birthday, pouring over the pictures. My Mum was pretty deft with the decorating, they were always winners!
    I had the Swimming Pool one year, with the tiny little water babies as well... then there was the time I tried to make it, and the jelly hadn't quite set yet... Splosh is a good sound for what happened when I cut the cake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute I love jelly cakes as they're so easy to make ( well in theory).When I made my recent jelly cake it took so many attempts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kids party cakes are a great opportunity to get creative :)

    ReplyDelete