Sunday, January 16, 2011

Raspberry lime curd tart


It is either a very brave or a very disorganised woman who makes dessert while her lunch guests are watching. Particularly a dessert that she has never made before, selected out of her scrapbook of recipes 5 mins before without knowing where it originally came from, and just picked it because she had all the ingredients.

I am that woman, unfortunately not the brave kind either :)

I had 6 people coming for lunch and decided 15mins before they were due to arrive that we needed dessert.
(I am prone to these whimsical moments that come back to bite me later)

Unfortunately they were early - even earlier than Husband who'd popped out for some last minute items. So I stood at the kitchen bench serenely gliding about, pretending I knew exactly what I was doing whilst making polite conversation, coffee and a Raspberry Lime Curd Tart.

Fortunately the recipe is brilliant! So simple that it make me appear to be the Stepford Superwoman I aspire to being. The result was very sophisticated and if I may say so myself - delicious.

I used frozen shortcrust but found that one sheet was too small for my loose-bottomed tart tin, so in my hurry ended up layering two pieces over each other diagonally which worked just fine.

I blind baked the shortcrust for10mins at 200C

Meanwhile you just whisk together:

3 egg yolks (separating the eggs was the least serene part of the show)
125g caster sugar
50g melted butter
1 cup light sour cream
2 Tbsp plain flour
rind and juice of one lime

Pour into the tart case and sprinkle with frozen raspberries.

Bake for 40mins until just set.

Trust me, it's a winner, tastes like restaurant food and leaves your Stepford reputation undented.

4 comments:

  1. lol love a simple recipe that tastes absolutely fantastic and easy to whip up! raspberries and lime sounds like a winner combo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Shan and yes you are indeed brave! Don't undersell yourself ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Making dessert while your guests are around just exudes confidence to me. It's like "Yeah, I've made this dozens of times and I'm so pro that I don't even have to make it in advance!" The recipe sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very impressive! I love having an audience when I'm cooking - but usually for things I am really good at. Your impromptu dessert is delish :)

    ReplyDelete