Thursday, June 3, 2010

Strawberry Macarons Attempt #1


Tuesday was my birthday. 31. I feel like if I say it enough it might sound like it is real. I'm sure since being about 25 the rest has all been imaginary and I'll wake up one day in my old flat disappointed that I've missed out on all the fun of the past few years (and possibly slightly pleased to still be in my 20s!).

As well as the lovely Husband spoiling me with cake and decorations and gorgeous gifts (Donna Hay Subscription!). I received some lovely cookbooks from those who know me well enough to know my obsession with them. One was all about Biscuits & Macarons and as I have recently read quite a few blogs on the making of the mysterious macaron I was inspired enough to have a go.

The book had some lovely recipes, although it struck a particular bugbear of mine which is "renaming". If it is a fruit, nut, toffee biscuit with a chocolate base it is a Florentine! not a Nutty fruit delight or whatever odd name they try to pass off as their invention. Grr! - ok, rant over :)

I probably shouldn't have gotten creative with my first macarons ever but I had acquired some strawberry essence and wanted to make strawberry ones. So I borrowed the basic recipe from a different flavoured one and added my essence and some rose pink colouring.

The result? Well ok - they don't have a frill, they aren't smooth and shiny and the pink was thwarted by my fan forced oven which slightly browned them to the colour of an overcooked prawn chip. And yes I did - tap the bottom of the tins, let them rest to develop a skin for half an hour and i promise I didn't open the oven door and peek.

I did get lazy at 9pm last night when I didn't feel like making a strawberry buttercream and used a chocolate one I had already in the fridge in a piping bag - so I guess technically they are chocolate/strawberry macarons.

BUT they taste fabulous. Not too sweet with a subtle flavour and a lovely bite, and they take me back to the smell of my Strawberry Shortcake doll when I was a little girl.

I won't presume to give you a recipe until I get a proper successful batch but it was definitely fun to try and I'm inspired to keep going until I get it right. I'll test Nigella's recipe in "Domestic Goddess" next - she can always be relied upon.

2 comments:

  1. Macarons are so difficult and temperamental! I actually received a macaron cookbook recently and the basic macaron recipe doesn't work. I was so disappointed :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so frustrating that such a little treat can be so tricky. For your first attempt these look fantastic! nice job :)

    ReplyDelete