Friday, May 28, 2010

Mini Bread and Butter Puddings


I need to share with you one of my eccentricities (one of many I'm afraid!). This one has to do with breakfast.

I have a significant dislike of almost all traditional breakfast foods both hot and cold when served first thing in the morning. Husband will happily eat Weet Bix every day in summer and porridge every day in winter so he is well taken care of but me...

In this regard I was definitely born in the wrong country - I saw a fabulous documentary the other day on Thai breakfasts- rice and chicken and satay sauce would suit me beautifully first thing!

I also find that if I don't want to eat what's available then I just won't eat at all, which isn't really ideal when you're heading out for a long day at work, so I've spent my life searching for other options that are quick and easy.

Other than dinner leftovers one of my breakfast favourites are these mini bread and butter puddings. If you think about it they are really similar to many breakfast foods- milk, eggs, bread, butter, sugar (and vanilla) but seem so much better to me. I tend to make them the night before whilst I'm pottering about with dinner and then pop them in the fridge. 40 second in the microwave brings them back to life beautifully.

I've simplified the recipe over time to the point of it being totally mindless to make. My usual choice is to use croissants rather than bread but we only had stale wholemeal about the place last night so that's what made the cut.

1 cup of milk (I used soy and it still tasted good and set well)
1 egg
1 Tablespoon caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste

Whisk these together in a jug.

Spread 2 slices of bread with butter and dust with nutmeg. Cut each into 4 pieces and pop the pieces into 2 ramekins. Pour over the egg mixture until 3/4 full.

Dab the exposed tops f the bread pieces with butter and sprinkle with demerara sugar.

Bake in a 180C oven for about 20mins or until puffed and golden. As they cool they will sink a little.

It was a fabulous wintery comfort breakfast this morning. MMMM.

8 comments:

  1. I'll have to try these- I'm in search of the perfect bread and butter pudding recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if this one is perfect - but it's the simplest :) Try with Croissants - you won't regret it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hehe I am not a cereal fan for breakfast or a fan of fruit but I don't mind them later in the day. And I'm with you on leftovers for breakfast. They give a reason to get out of bed! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. For breakfast?!

    Your day is backwards, Shan!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks. I just googled "mini bread and butter pudding recipe", and I found this post. I added a teaspoon of marmalade to each ramekin, and it was great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you are looking for more information about flat rate locksmith Las Vegas check that right away. Cake Delivery in Delhi

    ReplyDelete