Friday, May 14, 2010

Satay Noodle Salad



Posting about something I haven't yet eaten seems a bit odd I suppose but I just can't wait!

It all begins with my obsession with cooking shows (that I get from my mother!) I have been in swirls of delight with Channel 72's 'kitchen time' every afternoon beginning with the formidable Martha Stewart and then on to the selection UKTVfood provides - love it!

I discovered 'Ching's Kitchen' last week and was fascinated by the back story. She owns a massive factory that produces Asian style salads that sell in stores like Harrods and the show is based around her trials in their test kitchen - plus some extra treats.

So feeling inspired last night I invented my own Asian style salad for Husband and I to take to work for lunch today.

I layered up in the good old Tupperware - soaked rice noodles (pad thai) spritzed with a little sesame oil, grated carrot, sliced cucumber, red capsicum and sugar snap peas.

Then I dunked some chicken pieces in seasoned flour and shallow fried them until crisp and added them on top.

And then a satay sauce. I've made this in so many different ways and there has never been a recipe but last night I just used the residual heat in the frying pan to fry off some shallots and garlic, added peanut butter, tamari, lime juice, and a chopped kaffir lime leaf (from the garden - finally a use for them!)

My Stepford Secret here was a touch of Golden syrup. Recipes often use honey or sweet chilli sauce for the 'sweet' factor but Husband is allergic to chilli and the only honey in the house was a really strong Manuka. The golden syrup added depth and warmth, and was really helpful in rounding out the flavours.

A splash (or more) of coconut milk creamed it up and gave it a luscious texture. That went on top with a sprinkling of salted peanuts and it looks wonderful.

I promise to comment and let you know if it tastes as fabulous as it looks!

3 comments:

  1. And the verdict is - yum! It all works well. I think I'll cut my chicken a bit more thinly next time for ease of eating as cold chicken is so firm but it was a good healthy choice - am heading towards that 5 serves of veg and 2 of fruit a day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh golden syrup! Wouldn't it be funny if that became the magic ingredient for noodle salads! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. M is allergic to chilli?! How sad.

    I have the best satay recipe that I got from a Vietnamese cookbook, which Caz and I reckon is better than anything we've had easting out -- but it does call for sweet chilli sauce. :(

    ReplyDelete