Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Carrot and Pineapple Cupcakes


I always wonder with the blog whether it is more interesting to make crazy unusual recipes or just try out things and post the really good ones so people have a tried and tested source of recipes. In the end basically I just make what I feel like I guess - often dictated by the contents of my fridge and pantry.

This one was because I had a tub of cream cheese in the fridge and needed to use it up. So I googled "Cream Cheese Frosting" and found this little delight. These cupcakes are wonderful - The ingredients list looks a little weird but they are light as air and melt in your mouth. The recipe only makes 10 cupcakes officially -9 if you are me! Which is actually wonderful. So often I have zillions left over and feel like I eat too many myself. This way everyone in my office got one and husband and I got one each and that was it - just enough.

I think at a stretch you can even claim they are good for you - fruit, vegetables, dairy, nuts - all very good for you :)

The original recipe comes from www.exclusivelyfood.com.au

2/3 Cup Plain Flour
1/2 Cup + I T Caster Sugar
3/4 tsp bicarb soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon

1/3 Cup Oil
1 egg
1/4 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup grated carrot
1/4 cup crushed pineapple

Mix wet into dry, add 1/3 cup chopped pecans.

Bake in a 180C oven for about 15mins or until a skewer comes out clean.

Cream Cheese Frosting
Beat together
60g Cream Cheese
30g Butter
140g Icing sugar
1 tsp lemon juice

Top with a little toasted coconut.

Delicious! Really worth a try, even if you're not usually a fan of carrot cake the pineapple and pecans really add something special.

Have a wonderful day!

5 comments:

  1. definitely very, very good for you! Just don't mention the butter, sugar or white processed flour!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm so this sounds like a cross between the hummingbird and a carrot cake?! And both are so delish! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let's just pretend they aren't there Susan, everyone will feel better :)

    Hummingbird without the banana Lorraine! (and I don't like banana so it's extra great!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an unusual combination - sounds superb! It's great when you try something out of the box and it works out.. makes you feel all warm and fuzzy :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Shannon,

    I've sent you an email, but it might end up in your Spam folder. Just wanted to let you know that you've won a giveaway through my blog! Congratulations :)

    ReplyDelete