Friday, April 15, 2011

Create-a-Salad


It's been just one thing after another at the moment and I am busy doing my accreditation for work this year (10 months or so of permanent guilt that I'm not going to get it because I haven't tried hard enough) so the cooking in my home has reverted back to the standards - Spaghetti Bolognaise, Apricot Chicken, throw together roasts, freezer chicken kiev etc etc.

I'm just about dying of food boredom. That's the trouble with developing fancy tastes - you just can't go back.

So when my sister and her boyfriend came for dinner all the way from jolly old England I thought I'd go nuts with a summery Aussie salad to welcome them. Unfortunately it rained all day which kind of takes the joy out of salad so I did salad and roast chicken which worked very nicely.

The salad was great fun to make. I went shopping without a list and picked up all the things I like in salads with no thought about how they go together - fortunately it worked and was a big tough manly meal of a salad (if anything can be manly that has figs in it :)

So here's the list of salad ingredients from a woman who shopped with abandon at finally having the opportunity to make something interesting for a change!

Rocket
Fresh Figs
Goats Cheese
Pancetta
Macadamia Nuts
Lemon juice
Dijon mustard
Nice Olive Oil


Crisp up the pancetta in a pan, lose any leftover fat and then toast the Macadamias so they get charred and warm with pancetta flavour.

I did the dressing in a jar with equal amounts of oil and lemon juice, a teaspoon of dijon and a drizzle of honey. Shake until combined.

Toss the whole lot together and enjoy. I really enjoyed it and there were no leftovers so I suspect other people did too! I was so happy with the final product (and incidentally - the photo! Love it when you accidentally get a great image with a point and shoot - I'm no photographer!)

Have a lovely week.

PS. I finally got a picture up of the Lemon polenta cake on the previous post for those who wanted to know what it looked like!

2 comments:

  1. Yum! Might have to add that to my salad repetoir- it sounds like another salad for people who don't like salads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks lovely! And yes this incessant rain is rather annoying. Let's hope it lets up for this coming weekend :)

    ReplyDelete