Monday, September 13, 2010

Bran and Honey Muffins


If you've read this before you'll know of my distaste of breakfast foods- although I will make a solid exception for the grilled field mushrooms at Bluewater Cafe in Manly. If I had had a camera with me on that day I would've added a restaurant review component to the blog. I could eat those every day!
But in the absence of a chef to prepare field mushrooms on sourdough with rocket, goats cheese and pesto for me every morning, I am usually a breakfast skipper who is starving by 10am and eats hopeless snacks to compensate :)

To combat this a lady I used to work with - The lovely Gail, gave me this recipe. Healthy breakfast muffins that are according to her recipe "so full of goodness that if you look at them closely you can sometimes see a halo"

1 cup wholemeal flour
1 cup bran
1 tsp bicarb soda
1 egg
3 Tbsp light olive oil
150ml honey
1 cup milk (I used soy)
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup dried fruit (I used apricots)
1 cup chopped nuts (I used pepitas and sunflower seeds - that's all I had!)

Mix wet into dry and then bake at 180C for 20mins until a skewer comes out clean.
Can be served with a yoghurt dressing- 150ml natural yoghurt, 2 tsp honey and 2tsp orange zest.

I make a batch, freeze them individually and grab one on the way to work. 20 seconds in the microwave sorts them out and I get something useful into me to get the day started.

These make the house smell divine too - using honey rather than sugar is a revelation! It's so aromatic, the house just feels cosy and comfortable.

2 comments:

  1. You're not going to post a good porridge recipe for us? I'll have to show you how to make it well (okay, it is the wrong side of winter but it is still a good way to start the day).

    ReplyDelete