Thursday, September 16, 2010

Brown Butter Blondies


This week we are faced with renovations at work and so are moving out of large sections of our building. This might not sound too dramatic until you consider the fact that I work in a library. Moving stacks of books and resources is such a drain on the morale and energy. So I decided the office needed some sustenance to make it through.

These things are like death by brownie (well blondie actually) - Be warned: there are large amounts of butter in your future!

But how delicious, rich and intense with a flavour you've never known if you've never browned your own butter. This stuff is amazing. It gives you the impression of a culinary disaster as you watch the butter boil and turn dark golden.

I found this recipe on www.chocolatesuze.com and thought if I'm ever going to find a good opportunity to brown butter this is it!

I'll let you find the recipe on her site. It's really simple and the batter tastes awesome. Good luck getting it all into the pan without too much taste testing.

In lieu of cinnamon chips from the US I attempted to DIY them. Half a pack of white chocolate bits melted and then mixed with 2 teaspoons of cinnamon, spread out flat on baking paper and then popped in the fridge until firm then chopped into bits. This is another flavoursome delight that has to make it through the taste test. I could've eaten the melted cinnamon mixture with a spoon, and did scrape out the bowl with a spatula.

Unfortunately the batter was still quite warm and melted my lovingly made chips immediately - but the flavour was still there!

I added some white choc chips for extra texture and the lovely little squares have been eaten with great delight by the ladies in my office with one of them declaring "I think this is better than all the other treats you've brought in"

I actually think there is a bit too much butter so go easy on it and add some extra flour to soak it up if you think that will help.

Hopefully they will give us the strength to make it through - or in any case we'll burn off the huge amount of calories by ferrying huge boxes of books into storage :)

1 comment:

  1. I adore the Hershey's Cinnamon chips-in fact I eat them by the handful. They're so addictive! :D

    ReplyDelete